Monday 31 March 2014

The garden at the end of March

Southern England continues to be really mild and looking back on pictures from last year I reckon we are about 2 weeks ahead of where we were last year which is ironic as I feel about 2 weeks behind of where I should be! This is partially due to things having been rather busy as I am about to change jobs, leaving behind the glamour of Elephant and Castle Shopping Center for Camden Town. This is very exciting for me as a plant wise as it means my lunchtimes can be spent wandering Regents Park and all the exotic gems that it holds.



There has been so much going on in the garden....I think I finished my jiggling around early in the month and most things are in their new homes, although I have a lot of plants in my holding pen waiting for a new home. It has been a relief to be able to give away some plants to nice neighbours and local folk as it has avoided the guilt of composting them! Having space for new plants is my major headache at the moment as there is only so much squeezing you can do, and as the current plants get bigger and bigger my planting is getting less dense!
Giant Echiums are alive! this one at the back is now at about 7ft
Melianthus major...fabulously exotic flowers and foliage
Surprisingly things are now drying out fast....all the pots were dry and the Cyathea was a little fried. The Sarracenias needed some emergency help as they were crisp.

I am also quite fried as how fit I think I am is very different to the ragged exhausted person I tend to be at the end of a days gardening.

So big things:

Cannas are all out of the meter cupboard and already growing....even those left in pots are shooting

Seeds are mostly all planted....this year I have about 20 Ricisnus, and the usual Tithonia, Cuphea and Coleus. New exciting things include Giant Fennel (please grow!)

The Ensetes are also now all out of the cupboard and look ok....they are still firm and dry with no rot so I really hope they root easily and come back to life

Etiolated but alive (a bit like me at the end of a days work)
Bees: I am now a three hive family and after much cursing about why I didn't order a pre assembled hive the new one (Balmoral) is now up and running and the bees settling in well. Hive 1 is mega busy and has already ¼ filled a super with honey which is so unusual. Fingers crossed it is a good year.

Hello ladyzzzz

So everything is looking good and it is so nice to be able to loll about outside (the hammock has now been out twice) but lots to do. Happy gardening

Cardoons looking nice and jungly

This area is completely re-organised with a huge bamboo being moved,and now looking so sickly :(

Is that a nasturshum still lowering from last year? why yes it is

Productive beds looking proper! thank you to Sue and Steven

A giant dahlia which is actually sprouting from last years wood!

Although it looks empty there is lots of things coming into life and things to be done

1 comment:

  1. Garden's shaping up nicely Clive! Once some of your plants get bigger and taller then you gain space for under planting :)

    ReplyDelete